Monday, August 18, 2008

Garden Report: 8.18.08

I haven't spent a great deal of time in the garden over the last couple weeks due to that dad burned persistent August mugginess. However, the garden's been doing just fine without me with daily rains and plenty of sunshine. Here are some pictures of the first watermelons I've ever grown from seed in my entire life.
This is a "Moon and Stars" watermelon grown from heirloom seeds. I can't recall where I got them, but they were "organic" according to the package. Below we have another kind of watermelon that I must have mixed in the soil when I was planting. I'm not very scientific about it unfortunately and I have no idea what kind this is...
...but it looks delicious and I'm pleased as punch to see them because I was starting to get pissed off at this watermelon patch taking over the yard with no watermelons on it.

I also picked this off the vine this week:
It's a butternut squash that was volunteered up from the compost from seeds we threw in there a few months back. This is the third one we've grown in our humble little garden.

We been munching down on okra purty regularly over the past few weeks too. Sometimes I just eat it raw right of the stalk. Pretty damn good! But it's even better sauted up with onions and peppers from the garden.

In other news, the back yard just got 19 Asparagus bean seedlings planted in the ground from seeds bought at the Oceanic Market in downtown Tampa:
These beans are also called "Yard Long" Beans because they get this long.





















That's about it for now, stay tuned for more exciting news from my garden!

No comments: